I came up with this recipe (as I normally do) out of shear desperation to empty my refrigerator. Its very easy for a fridge to “runneth over” when 3 adults share it. Its a beautiful bread that’s actually incredibly easy to make!
I used a simple french bread recipe as a base for this bread. Once the french bread dough has risen and been punched down, do the following:
- 1. Roll out dough on well floured surface (try to make a rectangular shape.)
- 2. Spread about a cup of any pesto of your choice (I used basil pesto) onto the dough, then sprinkle about a cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- 3. Roll the dough into a log.
- 4. Cut the log down the middle.
- 5. “Braid” the strips together and place on a greased baking sheet.
- 6. Brush top with egg white and water mixture then allow the dough to rise once more (about 30 minutes or so).
- 7. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes, brush dough again with egg wash, then bake an additional 15-20 minutes until golden brown.